Merit based Scholarships are options to bridge the gap between the cost of attendance and need-based financial help when it comes to paying for college. Financial aid for college that is given on the basis of academic, athletic, artistic, or special-interest achievement rather than financial necessity is known as merit-based scholarships.
There are many scholarships that are given to students based on merit as we will be looking at some of them.
Merit Based Scholarships
BTL Athletes Scholarship
Student-athletes face the challenge of their academic obligations, such as homework and studying, with their commitments to practices, games, and other sporting events. One further stressor that many student-athletes must deal with is high tuition.
BTL has teamed up with professional basketball star Andre Drummond to help five student-athletes who are graduating high school or going to college with their tuition.
- Must be an undergraduate or a high school junior or senior.
- Must be a student-athlete or a member of the varsity
- This scholarship is open to any low-income varsity athletes in high school who are currently enrolled as undergraduate students and are members of a college team.
- Applicant must send in a brief (2–5 minute) video outlining your background, goals, and how this scholarship might assist you in achieving them.
FEB. 28 2023.
This scholarship is worth a total amount of $75,000. $15,000 for each of the selected five winners.
SME Directors’ Scholarship
Students from the United States and abroad who want to study manufacturing engineering and technology are eligible for this award. To qualify, the applicant must have a grade point average of at least 3.5.
- Letter of recommendation
- Application form,
- Application form,
- Official Transcript
- A GPA of at least 3.5
As a scholarship that is being given based on merit, students that exhibit leadership qualities in a professional, academic, or community setting will have certain advantages. In March of the award year, the scholarship review committee and additional ad hoc review committees will assess the applications.
The minimum amount awarded to each winner is $1,000
Feb 1st, 2023.
Visit the official website here
Peter T. Buecher Memorial Scholarship
As another merit based scholarship, the goal of the Peter T. Buecher Memorial Scholarship is to honor Minnesotan college students who want to improve the lives of others in their community. Seniors in Minnesota high schools and college students with strong moral principles are urged to apply.
- As an applicant, write an essay describing your goals for improving the quality of life in your Minnesota neighborhood.
- Applicant must be a senior in high school or a college student.
The application Deadline for this scholarship is May 1st, 2023.
The full scholarship is $1,000 and $500 will for given to each of the winners (2).
Desiree Jeana Wapples Scholarship for Young Women
This scholarship is meant to support students due to the demands of college and the contrasts in the new environment, transitioning from high school to college is a major change in a student’s life. Students who pursue higher education are already stressed out by the cost of tuition. This scholarship was also put in place in order to help female high school students in Virginia prepare financially for college.
This scholarship is also given based on the academic merit of a student of which the GPA is one basic criterion.
- Any female Virginia resident who is a senior in high school and has a 3.0 GPA or above is eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants must describe his/herself, and how they plan to make efficient use of the scholarship to better the world.
This scholarship is worth $500.
April 12th, 2023.
Visit this website for more.
Bill & Melina Gates Scholarships
Outstanding minority high school seniors from low-income families are eligible for this highly selective Gates Scholarship (TGS). A last-dollar scholarship can help high-potential, low-income minority students succeed in their coursework, graduate from college, and continue to be leaders throughout their life. This esteemed scholarship program is founded on research to that effect.
- GPA of at least 3.3 on a scale of 4.0.
- A senior in high school.
- Applicant must come from at least one of the following ethnic groups: African-American, Hispanic, Asian, and/or Pacific Islander, American Indian, or Alaska Native,
- A national or permanent resident of the US.
- A stellar high school scholastic record
- Leadership potential
- Exceptional abilities for personal achievement
The following documents are required when applying for the Bill & Melina Gates Scholarships;
- A copy of the student’s most recent transcripts (submitted by the counselor).
- Student Aid Report (SAR), following the completion of the FAFSA.
- Letter of Financial Aid Award.
- Admission letter for a four-year bachelor’s program at a non-profit, private, or public university.
- A passport photograph
Visit the website here for more information.
FAQ On Merit Based Scholarships
How do I get a merit scholarship?
Financial aid is in high demand, therefore scholarships might be difficult to get. Fortunately, a wide range of merit-based scholarships is available. Make sure you are submitting a distinctive application if you want to stand out and get the donor’s attention. Make sure you take the time to create a unique and informative entry, whether the scholarship calls for an essay, a video of you, or a portfolio.
By giving your bio more depth, making sure you have relevant experience included, and making sure your profile accurately represents your hobbies and history, you can also make the most of your profile.
What are merit based scholarships?
Students who have demonstrated academic excellence, athletic prowess, or creative talent frequently receive merit based scholarships. Many organizations grant financial aid to pupils who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, strong SAT/ACT scores, and interest in volunteer work.
Merit-based scholarships are given based on talent, whereas need-based scholarships are given based on a student’s financial need or other factors. While many merit scholarships are available to students regardless of financial need, some do take the financial situation into account.
Merit based scholarships are typically awarded to students with academic excellence, and athletic, or artistic achievements. Many providers offer scholarships to students who have high grades, leadership roles, SAT/ACT scores, and involvement in community service.