International students can now apply for the University of Houston USA International Merit Student Scholarship 2023. Both Bachelor’s and Masters’s level students are eligible to apply to study in any field of study taught at the University of Houston.
About the University Of Houston
Founded in 1927, the University of Texas is a public research university located in Houston, Texas, United States. It is the third-largest university in Texas and boasts over 47,000 enrolled students. The University of Houston offers over 300 undergraduate and graduate degree programs across 14 academic colleges and schools.
The university is popular for its strength in Business, engineering, education, and law programs. The University of Houston is also home to the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, which has consistently been ranked among the top programs in the country.
The University of Houston is a member of the University of Houston System, which also includes the Universities of Houston-Clear Lake and Houston-Downtown. The university’s campus is 667 acres in size and includes cutting-edge research facilities, recreational centers, and student housing.
Former First Lady Barbara Bush, astronaut Bonnie J. Dunbar, comedian Bill Hicks, and NFL quarterback Case Keenum are all University of Houston alumni.
The International Merit Student Scholarship 2023
The International Merit Student Scholarship is a scholarship offered by the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) to international students who have proven to be academic stallions in their diverse areas of study and have stood out with academic excellence as their batch of honor.
Students who are seeking their first-degree undergraduate degree and students who are pursuing their graduate degree with a minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 0.4 scale can apply for this scholarship. The scholarship ranges between $1,000 to $3,000 per academic year and covers the student’s fees and a portion of their tuition.
Students must submit a completed application for admission to UHV and all the required necessary documents by the scholarship application deadline t be considered for the scholarship. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years for undergraduate students and up to two years for graduate students provided the student meets the academic criteria of a 3.0 GPA and meets other eligibility requirements.
It is important for students to note that the Merit student Scholarship is a highly competitive scholarship and is constantly being sorted after by students all around the world. Coupled with the fact that there are a limited number of awards each year it is advised that students apply early.
It should be noted that studying in a foreign country can be difficult and requires a high level of adaptability and independence. Students from other countries should be prepared to deal with cultural differences, language barriers, and homesickness. However, with the right resources and support, studying as an international student at UHV can be a valuable and enriching experience that leads to new opportunities and personal growth.
Key details of the International Merit Student Scholarship 2023
- Level of Study: Undergraduate and graduate studies (Bachelor, Master)
- Institution(s): University of Houston
- Study in: USA
- Courses Offered: All fields
- Program Period: Depends on the selected program.
- Scholarship Deadline: June 15, 2023
The following are the basic benefits students who are awarded this scholarship get to enjoy:
- The scholarship can reduce the total cost of attendance by $3000-$10,000. (two semesters).
- The scholarship will reflect the residency tuition rate for international students on F-1 and J-1 visas.
- The scholarship only covers the tuition fee of the awardee.
- This award includes a $1000 guaranteed scholarship for on-campus students.
- The awards and waivers are available for fall recipients for the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- The scholarship is available for undergraduate and graduate full-time study at UHV.
All international students are eligible to apply.
Eligibility Criteria for International Merit Student Scholarship 2023
Students who are looking to apply for the International Merit Student Scholarship 2023 must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Firstly, to be eligible the applicant must be an admitted student to UHV
- The student must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits at UHV for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students at the time of the scholarship award.
Graduate, returning/current students must have two semesters remaining before graduation (the semester receiving the scholarship cannot be the final semester)
- Returning/Current students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above for undergraduate students and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for graduate students.
- Approval for volunteer opportunities must be approved in advance. If applicable all spring scholarship recipients must re-apply for the fall merit scholarship before the deadline
- International students or students on another non-immigrant visa status
- F-1 and J-1 students must be on the relevant visa status on or before the state date of their immigration document
- F-1 and J-1 students must attend mandatory International Student orientation at Victoria or Katy
- All non-immigrant status students must be of good academic and immigration status
- Have a demonstrated record of academic excellence, achievement, and progress.
How to apply
To apply, students must complete both scholarship application forms.
First, submit the online UHV General Scholarship Application. Please note that When you complete this application, you may receive a notification that says “the deadline passed”, don’t worry about the message, just go ahead and complete your application.
- Enter your UHV username and password to sign in.
- Now, submit the International Student Merit Scholarship Application. Please keep in mind that you will need to send your application accompanied by the necessary application requirements. Once you click submit, the application along with the uploaded attachments will automatically be sent to the International Programs Office.
- Both of the aforementioned applications MUST be completed in order for your scholarship application to be considered for review.
Students who are NOT eligible
The students who fall under any or more of the following categories are not considered eligible for the International Merit Student Scholarship 2023:
- Graduate students who are receiving a tuition scholarship or graduate assistantship
- Athletes at UHV who are receiving Athletics Scholarships
- International Students receiving International Student Cultural Scholarship
- Students receiving any other UHV tuition scholarship waivers
- Students receiving any other UHV competitive scholarships
- Students receiving Texas resident tuition fees
- Students enrolled part-time at UHV and part-time at another institution in Texas
- Failing to maintain academic and immigration status during the awarding year.
Click here to apply
All international students who are eligible to apply for the International Merit Student Scholarship 2023 are encouraged to apply as early as possible bearing in mind the competitive nature of the scholarship.
Any applicant whose application has been received and reviewed will be notified via email before the deadline.